Job Opportunity: Research Assistant at the Department of Biological Sciences, NUS (Deadline – 09 May 2008).
21 April 2008 – The Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore is advertising for a suitable candidate to fill the post of a research assistant who will work on a freshwater project that will end on 31 May 2010.
The requirements are:
- Polytechnic diploma in bioscience, or Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science (Honours) or MSc degree in zoology or biology
- Must be reasonably fit and able to conduct extensive outdoor field work near and in fresh water
- Good knowledge of the herptiles of Singapore (amphibians and reptiles)
- Must have a reasonably good command of the English language and be able to write scientific reports
- Possession of Class III (Car) Driving Licence necessary
- Proficient in MS Office, basic databasing software and graphic editing software
Proficient in wildlife photography
- An organized, creative and resourceful team player who is able to work independently
The duties and responsibilities include:
- Field work and biodiversity surveys
- Survey of the herptiles in selected field work locations
- Writing scientific reports
- Managing databases of various taxa, digital photographic images and historical data
- Building up a photographic database of wildlife encountered
- Responsible for compiling and liaison for some publications to be produced
- Salaries will be determined by the NUS Office of Human Resources but will be equivalent to those of the Civil Service in Singapore, for the same qualifications. Male Singapore citizens who have served National Service will also be given two increments. Experience may also be taken into consideration.
This is a one-year contract, but renewable till 31 May 2010.
Suitable candidates are kindly requested to send the soft copy of their curriculum vitae and the completed application form, by Friday, 09 May 2008, to:
Ms Tan Kai-xin, Project Manager