POSITIONS FOR RESEARCH ASSISTANT
A number of Research Assistant positions are available for the second phase of a project “Enhancing Singapore’s Coral Reef Ecosystem in a Green Port” due to begin in early September 2013. The project will be administered by the Tropical Marine Science Institute with Prof. L.M. Chou as the Principal Investigator.
Research activities are intensive during the first four years of this 7 year project and research assistants will be offered a one-year appointment in the first instance with continued employment dependent on performance.
The project focuses on reef restoration and addresses the following research questions: a) Can coral transplantation succeed in a non-coral area? b) How effectively can transplantation enhance a degraded reef, and c) How well can corals at an impacted site survive?
The research assistants will participate actively in all aspects of the project. Field work forms a major component of the project. Salary will be commensurate with academic qualification and research experience. Earliest availability will be taken into consideration.
- At least a B.Sc. or B.Sc. (Hons) in biology, ecology or marine biology, life sciences (majoring in environmental biology) or other related fields.
- Scuba diving qualification (PADI advanced open water or equivalent)
- with a minimum of 20 dives
- have dived within the past 6 months.
- Experience in reef restoration work.
- Familiar with reef conditions in Singapore.
- Good background in basic statistics and statistical software.
- IT competency and report writing ability.
- Experience with outreach initiatives.
Preference will be given to candidates with a Class 3 driving license and with demonstrated PR skills.
Interested candidates should e-mail an updated curriculum vitae, names of three referees, a statement indicating his/her suitability for the position, and earliest availability to:
Dr. Patrick C. Cabaitan (email@example.com) by 16th August 2013.
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted.