Research Assistant (Natural Sciences and Science Education)
The National Institute of Education invites suitable applications for the position of Research Assistant on a 6-month contract at the Natural Sciences and Science Education (NSSE).
Project Title: ANRICA – Carbon Stock Assessment
This is a 5-year national carbon accounting project in collaboration with the National Parks Board (NParks) with the aim of developing a national system to monitor carbon emissions/reductions resulting from loss/gain of vegetation due to changes in the land use over time.
All greenery and soil in Singapore will be taken into account when calculating carbon stocks, and the data collected will be incorporated into Singapore’s national emissions report to the International Panel of Climate Change (IPCC) as part of our national obligations under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
As this is the first time emissions from land use changes is reported for Singapore, the NParks has also hired the help of a consulting agency – the Austrian Natural Resources Management and International Cooperation Agency (ANRICA), who will provide the technical and reporting expertise required.
We are now seeking team leaders for data collection. Training will be provided to successful applicants, who will gain much experience in the full range of technical aspects involved in carbon stocks research in Singapore, as well as a deeper understanding of carbon reporting in the land-use change sector.
- At least a diploma in botany/forest ecology/relevant subject area.
- Able to identify tree species would be an advantage.
- Willing to go into forest areas and travel around Singapore.
- Physically fit. Able to walk and hike long distances.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and in a team.
- Possesses leadership qualities.
- Fast learner.
- Able to use Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
- A valid Singapore Class 3 driving license is highly desirable.
- Leading a team through data collection
- Setting up of field plots
- Obtaining field data
- Data entry into database
Training in field work methodology will be provided.
Applicants should complete and submit the following item/s:
- Application form for Research Positions [link]
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the requirements of this position
- Supporting documents as stated on the job application form
- Other documents that demonstrate your qualifications
Please send your application to:
Denise Chng Pei Lin, Research Assistant
Natural Sciences and Science Education
National Institute of Education
**We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified**
31 October 2014
NIE staff can take chartered buses at their own expense from or near their homes to the NIE campus. This is subject to availability of seats.