Job: Full-time paid interns wanted to assist in determining environmental services and benefits of Dense & Green buildings in Singapore.
We are looking for full-time interns to identify/validate/map plant species and plant locations at green spaces on and around buildings in Singapore. The position will also require assisting in other aspects of the environmental benefits package under the Dense & Green Building Typologies project at the Singapore ETH centre in CREATE at University Town NUS (see details below).
The Dense & Green Building Typology research team at the Future Cities Laboratory (FCL) investigates new building typologies with public and green spaces in high-density urban environment in terms of their environmental, social, architectural/urban and economic benefits. The findings will be integrated and translated into strategies and guidelines for architectural design and urban planning. The project is jointly led by ETH Zürich and Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). The duration of the project is 3 years. More information about the project can be found under at this webpage.
Successful applicants will:
- Visit selected buildings in Singapore’s urban areas to:
- Validate existing plans to ensure that species and plant locations have been correctly listed.
- Identify and record the location and spatial extent of plant species in buildings where they are not known (or the plan information is incorrect).
- Conduct desk based research at FCL in CREATE (NUS University Town):
- Reviewing literature to contribute to a database outlining the environmental benefits of plant species
- Collecting (online) data on other environmental and economic variables
- Map species and compile basic statistics on their distribution area and abundance on-site
Expectation on candidates:
Applicants are expected to have strong enthusiasm for environmental research and have plant identification skills. They are also expected to be able to work independently. Certain basic skills are required (using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.). An ability to use ArcGIS would also be a bonus but training will be given on how to use this software and conduct any statistical analysis.
This internship position will last a minimum of 2 months, potentially extending to 4 months.
The successful applicants will receive
- An internship certificate from FCL.
- First-hand experience with laboratory research related to green spaces typologies within an international team at an internationally recognised department.
- Training on how to use ArcGIS software
- Payment based on working hours or a fixed monthly depending on the particular working schedule.
Supporting documents for application
Curriculum Vitae highlighting relevant skills (including relevant university modules undertaken with knowledge gained) as well as a brief statement on personal interests are required for this internship position application.
For further information about the position, please contact Richard Belcher (email@example.com)
1 Create Way, CREATE Tower, Singapore 138602 (NUS University Town)
The Singapore-ETH-Centre is an equal opportunity and family-friendly employer. All candidates will be evaluated on their merits and qualifications, without regards to gender, race, age or religion.