Dr. Chong Kwek Yan at the Department of Biological Sciences (NUS) is recruiting a team of four full-time researchers to conduct forest inventory plots to study the relationship between hydrology and carbon stocks in a freshwater swamp forest landscape in Singapore. This project is being conducted in collaboration with the National Parks Board, the Tropical Marine Science Institute (NUS), and the Department of Geography (NUS).
Who is this for?
- If you are interested to pick up the mysterious arts of the forest botanists, e.g., tree identification, dendrology, vegetation science, etc., this is for you.
- If you are thinking of developing some basic research skills, such as fieldwork, GIS, data analysis (with R), and scientific writing, in preparation for postgraduate studies, this is also for you.
- Four Research Assistants or 3RAs and 1 Research Fellow.
- Contract period: 1 year, renewable upon performance and funds up to and beyond March 2019. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- BSc, preferably with Honours, in Life Sciences or Environmental Sciences specialising in Environmental Biology, or related fields.
- Team players with a good work ethic
- Some prior exposure to ecological field work involving the setting up of vegetation plots, tree measurement, and other forms of data collection in a tropical forest environment.
- Must be physically fit enough to carry equipment and trek fair distances over swampy ground.
- Keen interest in plant identification, nature, outdoor work, and scientific activities such as data analysis and experiments.
- Some experience with the statistical scripting language R, as well as geographic information systems software such as GoogleEarth, would be advantageous.
- Evidence of good verbal and written communication skills (in English) and good work etiquette.
- Preferably possess a Singapore Class 3 driving license that is non-probational (>1 year since obtaining license).
- Note: academic qualifications are secondary to work ethic, competent workers in teams and interest in the work.
Apply to Dr. Chong Kwek Yan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Department of Biological Sciences, NUS
Include the contacts of at least two character referees.