Internship opportunity: Full time 6-month WSG SGUnited paid Traineeship (application
deadline 28 Feb 2022), begins 15 March 2022
The Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum (LKCNHM) is looking for a full-time 6-month paid traineeship. Applicants interested in developing project-based taxonomic and curatorial skillsets encompassing from-field-to-shelf techniques are encouraged to apply.
We are looking for a motivated and hands-on individual who will assist with the (1) scientific bioimaging of museum collection and research specimens, (2) curation of the museum’s entomological collection, (3) specimen-based research and (4) specimen collection efforts in local field surveys.
- Museum digitization efforts, involving high-resolution macrophotography of museum collection and research specimens
- Curation of the museum’s entomological collections, involving sorting, preserving and vouchering of specimens
- Engaging in entomological research processes, involving specimen dissection and molecular work (depending on trainee aptitude)
- Participating in local field surveys and specimen collections (depending on trainee aptitude)
Training will be provided on the methods and safe practices of handling preservatives and specimens.
- Graduated or graduating from NUS in calendar year 2019 to 2021 (both years inclusive); or graduated earlier and completed National Service between 2019 to 2021 (both years inclusive);
- Have not started any SGUnited Traineeship attachment with NUS previously. Trainees who
- have completed SGUnited Traineeship attachment with other organisations may be considered;
- Must be able to begin the internship by 15 March 2022 and commit to the programme on a full-time basis for 6 months when they start the programme.
- Must not be afraid of seeing, and handling dead insects
- Must have a keen interest in insects and the natural world
- Patience and able to cope with repetitive work
- Open to learning new skills and assist in fieldwork
- Have no known allergies to ethanol, moth balls (naphthalene or 1,4-dichlorobenzene), and formaldehyde.
To apply, please write to Dr. Yuchen Ang (nhmay (at) nus.edu.sg) with the email title “2022 WSG internship with LKCNHM” along with a short paragraph about yourself and why you are interested in this internship, as well as an attached CV document.
Application closes on 28 Feb 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.