Registration is now open for LSM4263 – Field Studies in Biodiversity!
This 4MC module will be conducted in Semester IV of AY2015/2016 from Tue 21 Jun 2016 to Fri 22 Jul 2016. Timetable details will be available later.
To qualify, students should be:
- LSM majors specialising in Environmental Biology (EVB), OR from the Bachelor of Environmental Studies (BES) programme
- Continuing into their Honors year in AY2016/2017
- Possess a CAP of 3.2 or above
- Willing to cover part of the module cost (amounting to less than S$400)
- The Pulau Tioman field trip is scheduled from Tue 12 Jul 2016 – Mon 18 Jul 2016
- Accommodation at Paya Beach Resort
- Local student enrolment is limited to 30 students
- Priority to students with LSM2251 Ecology and the Environment, or other relevant experience
To register, please complete the form at tinyurl.com/lsm4263signup by Mon 06 Jun 2016: 1800h. Successful students will be notified by email.
Life Sciences Undergraduate Program Committee
Dr Teresa Ong Bee Lian
Born in Singapore on 16 September 1957
Passed away in Singapore on 23 March 2015
Aged 57 years
Always remembered by family and loved ones.
From Paul Thomas Matsudaira (Head, Biological Sciences)
Subject: Dr Ong Bee Lian’s Memorial – 20 April 2015 at 4.00 p.m., LT 32
“Dear Faculty, Staff and Students,
The department is planning a memorial for Dr Ong Bee Lian on Monday, 20 April 2015 at 4 pm in LT32 and all are invited to attend. Her family members will also be present.
She was a long standing member of the department from the time she was a student (B.Sc. Honours) University of Singapore. Many count Dr Ong as a close friend and colleague. She was a passionate teacher and mentor of our undergraduates. She will be missed and we intend to honor her memory with sharing by a few colleagues and students, as well as a presentation slide into a glimpse of her life in the department.
“Mr Lee Kuan Yew dedicated his entire life in service of our nation and its people. His leadership was always marked by hope and a sense of collective purpose, inspiring us all to work towards an ever better Singapore. We mourn the passing of an eminent alumnus, an inspirational leader, and a Singapore icon. Our thoughts are with PM and Mrs Lee, and the Lee family during this difficult time.”
– Prof Tan Chorh Chuan, NUS President
“NUS and Singapore have lost a great man. As Prime Minister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew and his team transformed an island with no natural resources into a thriving, cosmopolitan city – all in just one generation. Mr Lee focused on education as a key pillar for national development, and for this, we will always be grateful. We are proud that he was a part of Raffles College and NUS. We are deeply saddened by his passing, and send our condolences to PM Lee, Mrs Lee and the Lee family.”
– Prof Tan Eng Chye, Deputy President (Academic Affairs) and Provost
The NUS community is invited to share their thoughts in memory of Mr Lee on the NUS Facebook page.
There have been three announcements recently which may be of interest to students and part-timers alike.
- Climate Change Intern, two positions at DHI
- Student / Laboratory Assistant, four positions @ TMSI EMID-Inland Waters Cluster
- Part-time field assistant for civet radio-tracking study (Jan-Feb 2014, part-time thereafter)
To view these messages, do one of the following:
The Ecotax Mailing List was set up in Dec 1998 to announce technical seminars, visitors, job opportunities and other similar messages to the community of ecologists and taxonomists in Singapore.
A message from the Maintenance Services Division, Office of Estate & Development explained that the electrical network upgrading project is completed and affected roads will now be resurfaced.
OED is taking this opportunity to repair and improve the conditions of the roads that are shown in the map below.
Road resurfacing works will be carried out from 11 May 2013 to 15 June 2013, from 8.00pm to 7.00am the next morning, every day of the week (including public holidays).
These roads will remain accessible by motorists as the contractor will work on a single lane of the two-lane road at any one time before progressing to adjacent lane.
Signages and road marshallers will guide motorists in the affected locations.
If there are issues during the period, let OED know through their 24/7 Maintenance Hotline (6516-1515) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
SIF Technologies is a Singapore-based green technology company specializing in water treatment for the aquaculture and eco-friendly industry. They are currently seeking to hire a full-time Marine Biologist to lead scientific research and validation in the application of the company’s proprietary technology.
Bachelor of Science degree in marine biology, marine science, or related scientific discipline is required. A Masters degree is highly preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of direct industry experience in marine biology and/or environmental science.
- Strong scientific aptitude, self-starter, analytical mind and logical approach to problem solving.
- Good observation, documentation, and presentation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication in English.
- Singaporean or SPR
Roles and responsibilities
- Serves as the scientific liaison with external parties.
- Plan and design scientific experiments independently and/or in teams.
- Develop test protocols, reports, and white papers.
- Perform data analysis and literature search.
SIF Technologies is a Singapore-based green technology company specialising in water treatment for the aquaculture and eco-friendly industry. The founders of the company have more than 20 years of combined experience in providing customers with expert know-how in the area of chemical free water treatment.
In 2004, the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB) under the SEEDS funding scheme, took a strategy equity stake in the company. This investment is managed by SPRING SEEDS Capital Pte Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of SPRING Singapore.
SIF will continue to grow its base in Singapore and also expand into more regions to develop solutions that meet the challenges faced by various industries.
For more information please visit our website at http://www.dpasys.com .